[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Yamhill county notes, Eugene-Springfield Vesper Sparrow

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sat Mar 28 06:37:40 PDT 2020

From: "Paul Sullivan" < paultsullivan at onlinenw.com >
Subject: [obol] Yamhill county social distance ramble
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 13:16:42 -0700

I did a 30-mile social distance ramble today to Fairdale Mineral Spring
[ callto:(45.363364,-123.331188 | (45.363364,-123.331188 ] ), NW of Yamhill, to look for Band-tailed Pigeons. I
found two (FOY for me). At the nearby N Yamhill River I heard a Kingfisher.
Under the bridge I found lots of whitewash on the rocks and a dipper nearby
(another FOY), a clear indication of a nest under the bridge. Just a
quarter mile west up the road I found a cluster of 8 Varied Thrushes on the
edge of the gravel, another nice find.

Back home, a White-throated Sparrow turned up in the yard, the first since
the 14th. The Lincoln's Sparrow has been here every day for a week. The
female Townsend's Warbler shows up every couple days. The Fox Sparrow sings
a snatch of song if the sun shines. The Purple Finches are more vocal.

No Savannah Sparrows or cowbirds. Save those for next time.

Good birding, everyone,
Paul Sullivan
McMinnville