[midvalleybirds] More information on Finley NWR closure etc.

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Fri Mar 27 17:24:19 PDT 2020

Thank you to the several people who alerted me to the closure of most
access to Finley NWR. I found this notice on the "Friends of Finley NWR"
page:

> Temporary closure of William L. Finley Refuge March 26, 2020
>
> In an effort to reduce the further spread of COVID-19, and in support
> of the Governor’s Stay Home, Save Lives order, part of William L.
> Finley Refuge will close tomorrow. Finley Refuge Rd, its trails, and
> the Refuge office will be inaccessible for the time being. Bruce Rd.
> is a county road and will remain open. There is a restroom at
> McFadden’s Marsh.

Regarding Ankeny NWR and Baskett Slough NWR, the refuge websites have
this statement:

> During the current public health emergency, whenever possible, outdoor
> recreation sites at national wildlife refuges and national fish
> hatcheries will remain open to the public. Visitor Centers and other
> facilities, however, may be closed. Scheduled events may be cancelled.
> Please follow public health guidelines and avoid congregating.

Both Ankeny and Baskett Slough NWR still have "goose closures" in effect
through March 31st,so trails affected by those closures remain closed at
least until April 1st.

Of course if you visit any of the natural areas that remain open to the
public, it's sensible to maintain the recommended 6-foot distance to
avoid contributing to the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

If anyone has more current information on these or other natural areas,
please share it directly to this list.