[midvalleybirds] Pine Siskin

Carma Sue Henry cshenry at bywordofmind.com
Sun Mar 22 13:44:28 PDT 2020

A single FOY Pine Siskin was on the nyjer thistle feeder yesterday. It posed for a nice photo.  I'm used to seeing them in small, comically frenetic flocks, so have my fingers crossed for more visitations.  So far, we haven't put out any hulled sunflower seeds, which were the PS's favorite in our Seattle front yard.  Aside from the expense, we never found a feeder that dispensed them neatly (thereby feeding squirrels and other, less pleasant, rodents on the ground) or in such a way that the drain holes weren't constantly getting plugged by small bits of broken seed. I was thinking of some sort of small tray with a window screen type bottom that could be easily washed with a scrub brush.  Still seeing the occasional Goldfinch at the thistle as well.  Our Bluebird nest boxes are ready to put up, too.  Hope to do that later today.Carma Henry, Logsdon Ridge