[midvalleybirds] Linn County, Tuesday, January 21

Mary Garrard springazure1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 12:26:46 PST 2020

Hi birder lovers,

Bev Clark and I scoured the back roads of the mid-valley yesterday afternoon for burrowing owls, based on past history and recent reports from eBird. We found none. Culverts were flooded from the recent rains.

We had a few kestrels, red-tails, a couple of male northern harriers, and bald eagles. White-crowned sparrows, american robins, and black-capped chickadees were here and there. We found no pipits, horned larks, ducks, geese, or swans. We visited the traditional field where swans have been found in the past, near the Halsey mill on American Drive, but it has been planted and is no longer a muddy field.

What we did find was the hundreds of gulls in the the same field (Oak Plain Drive a bit west of 99E) where Lars found them on the weekend. I’m not the world’s best at gull ID, but it looked like a lot of Glaucous-winged and I was happy to see Lars’ post about them in the OBOL digest this morning. The bare, muddy field undulates off to the south and groups would fly up and land, or disappear and reappear as they roamed around. It should be a good place to study gulls as long as it stays muddy.

At the Tangent bald eagle roost at dusk we counted 33 in the cottonwoods, with 11 being full adults; the remainder were either sub-adults or not clearly seen.

The afternoon proved to be exactly as my weather app predicted: rain off and on, some sun-breaks, and gorgeous mid-valley skies and clouds with a couple of rainbows thrown in for the beauty of it. There were many sheep in fields which should begin giving birth soon, so lots of placentas for the scavengers, and hopefully not too many lambs lost.

Happy birding!

Mary