[midvalleybirds] Linn County - Eicher Road Yellow-headed Blackbird and Tricolored Blackbirds

Jeff Harding jeffharding at centurytel.net
Fri Jan 17 16:54:58 PST 2020

On the way into Albany this morning I stopped on Eicher Road to look at
Blackbird flocks. At the feedlot there a number of blackbirds with whitish
median coverts that I made Tricolored Blackbirds. There is are poor photos
here: https://ebird.org/checklist/S63483131. I walked west to the corner,
but the blackbirds refused to come close, so I returned to the car, closed
the eBird checklist, and continued on. Around the corner and past the first
house on the right, there was a Yellow-headed Blackbird in a large group of
blackbirds and starlings foraging in the paddock there. That's to explain
why the Yellow-headed Blackbird isn't on the list referenced above. It's on
a subsequent, incomplete list. I failed to get a photograph of the bird,
even though it was just 20 yards out in clear view, because the camera
wanted to focus on the wire mesh fence in the foreground. Usually it wants
to focus on whatever is in the background, and not the foreground. I should
have gone to manual focus and gotten the shot, instead I got out, and they
all headed west.

On the way back home I looked again for a few minutes, but failed to detect
the Yellow-headed Blackbird, but it's probably still around.  They aren't
always close to the road.

Good birding,

Jeff