[midvalleybirds] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 16:07:42 PST 2020

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Fred, Barbara
and I were joined by three (3) other birders.  The weather was cool and
windy (10 – 15 m.p.h. with gusts to 24 m.p.h.) with rain during the first
half hour and last half hour of the field trip.  During the middle portion
of the trip the sun came out and we had only one minor shower.  The
temperatures ranged between 44 and 47 degrees, but it felt colder with the
wind.  We made five stops around the refuge with Eagle Marsh and the Rail
Trail being the most productive.  Pintail Marsh was relatively quiet.  We
identified (saw or heard) 35 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

·      The sightings of the day were a *Western Meadowlark *and* Tundra
Swans *(13).  The meadowlark was just east of Eagle Marsh while the swans
were all at Eagle Marsh;

·        We observed seven (7) species of ducks including *Mallard,
Northern Pintail, Northern Shoveler, Ruddy Duck, Bufflehead, American
Wigeon and Green-winged Teal.  *The Northern Pintail were by far the most
numerous of the ducks.  We looked for a Eurasian Wigeon without any luck;

·     The raptors seen included *Bald Eagle* (5), *Red-tailed Hawk*
(4), *Northern
Harrier* (2) and an *American Kestrel*;

·       We saw three woodpeckers including *Downy Woodpecker*, *Northern
Flicker *and *Red-Breasted Sapsucker*.  The sapsucker was a bright male
that we saw along the Rail Trail boardwalk;

·       The sparrow numbers were paltry for this time of year.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS bird walk will be
the SAS Shorts bird walk at *Cascades Gateway Park* on *Tuesday, January
21st*.  Meet at 9*:00 AM* in the parking lot next to Wirth Lake.  Please
join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, Oregon

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for January 12, 2020*

*Number of Species: 35*

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ at 9:10 AM
(2): 10280–10498 Sidney Rd S, Salem @ 9:44 AM