[midvalleybirds] Streaked Horned Larks singing north of Baskett Slough NWR; no swans near Airlie

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Jan 9 17:32:46 PST 2020

On my way home from an early-morning trip to Portland airport, I detoured off Hwy 99W along Livermore Rd. north of Baskett Slough NWR.

It was too foggy to see far out into the fields when I came through around 8 am, but there were flocks of SAVANNAH SPARROWS, AMERICAN PIPITS, and a few HORNED LARKS along the road. One lark about 2 miles from the north end of the road was really pale, so probably a migrant from somewhere else. But a little farther south I heard and saw two very bright male STREAKED HORNED LARKS singing (from the ground) and chasing each other, with a few other larks in the vicinity. This seems a little early in winter for that kind of territorial behavior.

Farther south I detoured again along Elkins Rd. over to Airlie Rd. and then back to Hwy 99W via De Armond and Robison Rd. I was surprised to see no swans anywhere along this route, especially in the Maple Grove - Airlie area where a flock of 40 to 65 Trumpeter Swans (and usually a few dozen Tundras) used to winter. A few Tundra Swans but no Trumpeter Swans were found on Sunday's Airlie-Albany CBC.