[midvalleybirds] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 14:23:36 PST 2020

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

*January 1, 2020*

This morning, Fred, Kay and I led the Salem Audubon Minto-Brown Island Park
bird walk.  We were joined by 17 other birders.  It was pleasant
temperature-wise as the temperatures ranged from 50 degrees to 53 degrees
with cloudy skies and a few sun breaks.  However, early in the walk we had
a brief rain shower then later in the walk we had a heavier shower (about
.06” of rain total).  The wind was not bothersome with calm winds and
occasional winds to 8 m.p.h.  This was a shorter winter walk lasting about
three hours versus our normal four-hour walks. We walked three miles as we
covered the west end of the park including the fields to the north and near
the landfill.  We observed (saw or heard) 42 species.

The highlights were as follows:

·       We saw five species of raptors including *Bald Eagle* (2), a
*Sharp-shinned
Hawk*, an *American Kestrel*, a *Red-tailed Hawk* and a *Northern Harrier*.
The Bald Eagles were both adults;

·       We observed four of the five expected woodpecker species
including *Downy
Woodpecker*, *Pileated Woodpecker*, *Red-breasted Sapsucker* and *Northern
Flicker*.  Everyone in the group was able to see the *Pileated Woodpecker *that
was on a snag across the slough.  At one point the Pileated Woodpecker flew
right over us;

·       There were only a few species of ducks around including *Mallards *
(47)*, Gadwall *(2) *and Bufflehead* (1);

·       We also saw and heard some *Pacific Wren* and saw a *Hermit Thrush*.

The upcoming events include:

-        *Sunday, January 12th 9:00 AM* – Ankeny NWR field trip, meet at
the Pintail Marsh parking lot off of Wintel Rd;

-        *Tuesday, January 21st 9:00 AM* - SAS Shorts - Cascades Gateway
Park bird walk*.*  Meet in the parking lot.

We also have the *Raptor ID workshop* on Saturday*, January 18th 10:00 AM –
12 noon* at the ODFW located at 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE in Salem.
The cost is only $10.00 a person.

Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for January 1, 2020*

*Identified Species: 42*

124 Cackling Goose
2 Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)
9 Canada Goose (occidentalis/fulva)