[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Morgan Lake Ruff and Stilt Sandpiper

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Fri Sep 20 05:05:03 PDT 2019

Thanks to Tim Johnson for sharing his follow-up report on the juvenile Ruff at Morgan Lake (on the north side of Baskett Slough NWR, accessible from the parking area at Smithfield x Livermore Rd.). Here's the original report from Roy Gerig, plus a later follow-up report from Brandon Wagner. Ruffs are odd-looking in comparison with our more common shorebirds. To me they seem clumsy and oddly proportioned, with a head that seems too small for their bodies. Saying this just in case it's helpful for anyone in trying to pick one out at a distance.