[midvalleybirds] Migrants overhead/overheard

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Sep 19 07:18:03 PDT 2019

Hi all,

It seems later than the normal southward migration of Swainson's Thrushes but last night, for the first time this fall, I heard a few soft "weep!" calls from birds flying southward in the night.

Also seemingly on the late side for southward migration of Greater White-fronted Geese (GWFG), yesterday Tom Love reported hearing a flock flying over southern Washington County. With better weather today, it might be a good day to listen for and spot flocks flying over the mid-valley region.

Calls of GWFG flocks have a "laughing" quality compared with the honking of Canada Geese or the higher-pitched honks of Cackling Geese (which are also starting to move south over our area). GWFG also tend to fly in wider and often more disorganized/straggly V formations than the "white-cheeked" geese.

happy fall migration,