[midvalleybirds] Chip Ross Townsend's Warblers

Don Boucher donaboucher at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 19:51:59 PDT 2019

 Hello,

Despite of heavy rain, 12 people attended our Naturalist Adventure today at
Chip Ross Park, we also walked a small portion of Dan's Train in McDonald
Forest.

We watched several small flocks of Western Bluebirds and Acorn Woodpeckers
were conspicuous and vocal. There was a snag about 30 feet high where a
male Acorn Woodpecker  head was poking his head out of one of the cavities.
Flocks of Black capped Chickadees were common and some were eating
poison-oak fruits. There was a mixed flock of small birds, led by
Black-capped Chickadees, in the oak crowns where we saw a Townsend's
Warbler, an Orange-crowned Warbler, a Black-throated Gray Warbler, a small
number of Chestnut-back Chickadees and a few other common species. We
watched Brown Creepers and a couple White-breasted Nuthatches on oak
trunks. We heard the call of a Red-shouldered Hawk and saw a couple small
flocks of Band-tailed Pigeons. Later we saw another mixed flock where we
saw a Townsend's Warbler again.

Don Boucher
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com