[midvalleybirds] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 16:28:29 PDT 2019

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

*September 14, 2019*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Kay and I were
joined by six (6) other birders.  The weather was fair with some blues
skies and a little high fog.  It was 54 degrees at the start and 65 degrees
at the end of the trip.  We made three stops around the refuge including
Pintail Marsh, Eagle Marsh and Acorn Woodpecker Corner (Liberty & Ankeny
Hill Rd intersection).  We identified (saw or heard) 47 species.

*Most notable sightings:*

· We didn’t see many shorebirds.  We saw one *Lesser Yellowlegs*, six *Greater
Yellowlegs*, five *Wilson Snipe*, dowitchers, *Killdeer* and some *Least
Sandpipers*;

·    There was a *Peregrine Falcon* flying around the back of Pintail
Marsh.  We also saw 22 *American White Pelicans* on the marsh.  There
was a *Lincoln’s
Sparrow* along the trail to the west of the parking lot too;

·     At Eagle Marsh we saw six *Great Egrets* and a *Black Phoebe*.  As we
walked down the west side of the marsh we heard lots of *Marsh Wrens* and
saw several *Common Yellowthroats*. We also saw two *Purple Finches *along
the roadside;

·   Another nice sighting was a *Western Tanager* across the road from the
Acorn Woodpecker granary.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS bird walk will be
the Illahe Hills CC bird walk on* Monday, September 23rd at 8:00 AM*.  Meet
in front of the clubhouse off Country Club Rd S.  We also have the SAS
Shorts: Cascade Gateway Park bird walk on *Monday, September 23rd* *at 9:00
AM.*  Meet in the parking lot near the lake.   The next regular bird walk
is at Minto-Brown Island Park on *Tuesday, October 1st at 8:00 A.M.*  Meet
in parking lot #3.

Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for September 14, 2019*

*Number of Species: 47*

Checklists included in this summary: 4

(1): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 6:58 AM
(2): Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge (along Buena Vista Rd. near railroad
tracks) @ 8:10 AM
(3): Ankeny NWR--Eagle Marsh @ 8:14 AM
(4): Acorn Woodpecker Corner at intersection of Liberty and Ankeny Hill
Roads @ 9:52 AM

49 Canada Goose -- (1),(3)
105 Mallard -- (1),(3)
2 Green-winged Teal -- (1)