[midvalleybirds] Corvallis Vaux's Swifts

Mary Garrard springazure1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 21:04:13 PDT 2019

Hi, Marge Alig and I and several neighbors observed 242 swifts enter a chimney at a private residence near Weigand Hall tonight. It was a lovely evening with a slight breeze and a few clouds to contrast against the pale pink sky at sunset. Sunset tonight was at 7:30. It’s always so much fun to watch the swifts as they swirl looselyl, then get more and more organized into a tighter group, then flutter down as they funnel into the chimney. It never gets old to me.

This migration the numbers I’ve seen at the chimney near the Mongolian Grill off First street downtown, and now at this private residence, have been much lower than in the past, from 80 to 300 or so. In previous years we have often counted 1200-1500, and I have heard reports of up to 3000.

Where are they?????

Happy fall migration!

Mary