[midvalleybirds] Major wave of Golden-crowned Sparrow arrivals

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Sep 12 09:31:57 PDT 2019

A lot of GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS seem to have shown up around Corvallis in the past couple of days. Bob Altman mentioned running into a bunch at Bald Hill farm yesterday, then today we ran across a bunch more at a monitoring site in the Soap Creek Valley. One of them was even singing.

Numbers of WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS and DARK-EYED JUNCOS seem to have gone up too. There were some around on these sites all summer but some of these could be fall arrivals.

A few VESPER SPARROWS and CHIPPING SPARROWS are still around in nesting habitat, but acting very antsy, probably getting ready to migrate south any day now. I saw one SAVANNAH SPARROW.

Counting Song Sparrows and Spotted Towhees which are always around, and Lincoln's Sparrows which are beginning to show up for winter, this is a good time of year for sparrow fans.

Happy migration,

Tampico, Oregon