[midvalleybirds] Marys Peak Lincoln's & Golden-crowned Sparrows, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Am Pipit plus lower-elevation Yellow-rumps

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Wed Sep 11 14:12:28 PDT 2019

Hi all,

After doing some Vesper Sparrow surveys near Wren in Benton County this morning I attempted to take care of an errand in Alsea, but the place where I needed to go was closed when I got there. So I figured I might as well go up Marys Peak to get some benefit out of the trip. The most noteworthy birds were a handful of fall arrivals:

A couple of first-fall GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS were on the slope just north of the top parking area. At least three LINCOLN'S SPARROWS were sneaking around in a patch of sedge(?) in the meadow along the road that heads up to the summit. A RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET was in brush along the trail higher up. On my way back down I heard, then saw one AMERICAN PIPIT as it flew high over the meadow from east to west.

Other fun birds up there included a very approachable juvenile COMMON RAVEN with still-grayish neck feathers and a flock of about nine EVENING GROSBEAKS playing an avian version of "musical chairs" on a snag that didn't have quite enough good places for all of them to perch. A big juvenile COOPER'S HAWK perched SW of the summit had me thinking about goshawk at first. Other birds included lots of juncos, the usual Chestnut-backed Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches, a lone Turkey Vulture, a couple of Chipping Sparrows, and a few Cedar Waxwings.

Earlier in the morning I found at least 8 Vesper Sparrows still present (but way out on private land), along with a big flock of 25+ Western Bluebirds. A couple of very drab first-fall YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS spent a little time foraging in an oak where I was trying to check for banded Vesper Sparrows.

Happy fall migration,