[midvalleybirds] SAS Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 21:17:12 PDT 2019

*SAS w/ WKNA Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk Report*

*September 9, 2019*

Carolyn and I led a bird walk at Keizer Rapids Park on Monday morning.  We
were joined by eight (8) other birdwatchers.  We walked 2.29 miles covering
most of the perimeter of the park.  The group was met with overcast skies
with just a little rainfall.  The temperature was 60 degrees at the start
and 63 degrees at the end of the bird walk.  The bird activity was good
overall with a total of 32 species identified (seen and/or heard).

The highlights were as follows:

-        We saw both a *Sharp-shinned Hawk* and *Cooper’s Hawk*;

-        The river was extremely busy with hundreds of swallows.  They were
mostly Violet-green and Barn Swallows.  We also saw a couple of *Osprey,* a
couple of *Great Blue Herons* as well as a *Green Heron* and *Belted
Kingfisher*;

-        There also were two *Swainson’s Thrush* chasing each other;

-        We also saw two *Downy Woodpeckers* and a *Red-breasted Sapsucker*;
and

-        As usual there were a lot of *White-crowned Sparrows*.

The upcoming events include:

*Saturday, September 14th, 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM – *Ankeny National Wildlife
Refuge -- Meet at the Pintail Marsh Parking Lot off Wintel Road at 7:00 AM.

*Monday, September 23rd, 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM - SAS Shorts:* Cascades
Gateway Park Bird Walk.  Meet in the parking lot next to the lake at 2100
Turner Rd SE (behind Walmart).

*Monday, September 23rd, 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM – *Illahe Hills CC Bird Walk.
Meet in front of the clubhouse located at the end of Country Club Drive SE
(3376 Country Club Drive South).

*Saturday, October 5th, 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon – *The Sex Life of Birds
Workshop at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Headquarters, 4034
Fairview Industrial Dr SE, Salem. Fee: $10.  You can sign up online at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVhOAj9gxiP8vjZn79skxTwMg4ZkbaZ14EGXNW2hxfxA75Ug/viewform

Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Keizer Rapids Park Checklist Summary for September 9, 2019*

*Identified Species: 32*

*Checklists included in this summary: 1*

15 Mallard
3 Vaux's Swift
2 Anna's Hummingbird
2 Great Blue Heron