[midvalleybirds] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 12:33:37 PDT 2019

*SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report*

*September 4, 2019*

This morning, Fred, Kay and I led the SAS Minto-Brown Island Park bird
walk.  We were joined by 13 other birders including a few newcomers.  It
was a very pleasant morning with some wind (varied from 7 – 13 mph).  The
temperatures ranged from 61 to 67 degrees with overcast skies.  We walked
about 3.5 miles as we covered the west end of the park including near the
landfill and Eola Bend County Park.  The bird activity was fair as we
observed (saw or heard) 36 species.

The highlights were as follows:

·       We observed four (4) *Belted Kingfishers* which is a high number
for our walk.  We saw a couple of them including one along the slough that
continuously plunged into the water.  It plunged into the water making
quite a splash at least 10 times;

·       We saw only two woodpecker species including *Downy
Woodpecker* and *Northern
Flicker*;

·       The river near Eola Bend County Park was quite busy.  We saw two *Bald
Eagles*, 40 *Vaux’s Swifts*, some swallows, two *Osprey *and several
*Mallards*.  There was also a kingfisher and *Pied-billed Grebes* along the
river;

·       Right near the parking lot we saw a *Cooper’s Hawk*;

·       We also saw four *Common Yellowthroats* near the landfill.  The
yellowthroats were the only warbler species we saw;

·       We saw two flocks of *Bushtits* totaling about 16 birds;

·       Other sightings included two *Warbling Vireos*, 33 *Cedar Waxwings*,
four (4) young *Purple Finches* and 65 *American Goldfinches.  *We heard a*
Hutton’s Vireo *too; and

·       The main misses of the day were the *Anna’s Hummingbird* and the
two species of nuthatches*. *

The upcoming events include:

*Monday, September 9th, 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM* – Keizer Rapids Park Bird Walk
w/ WKNA – Meet in the last parking lot near the boat ramp.

*Tuesday, September 10th, 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM – Birder’s Night, *Southern
Africa Birds and Beasts. Meet in the Carrier Room at First United Methodist
Church. Please enter the church through the office entrance at 600 State
Street.

*Saturday, September 14th, 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM – *Ankeny National Wildlife
Refuge -- Meet at the Pintail Marsh Parking Lot off Wintel Road at 7:00 AM.

*Monday, September 23rd, 9:00 AM to 10:30 AM - SAS Shorts:* Cascades
Gateway Park Bird Walk.  Meet in the parking lot next to the lake at 2100
Turner Rd SE (behind Walmart).

*Monday, September 23rd, 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM – *Illahe Hills CC Bird Walk.
Meet in front of the clubhouse located at the end of Country Club Drive SE
(3376 Country Club Drive South).

*Saturday, October 5th, 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon – *The Sex Life of Birds
Workshop at the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife Headquarters, 4034
Fairview Industrial Dr SE, Salem. Fee: $10.  You can sign up online at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVhOAj9gxiP8vjZn79skxTwMg4ZkbaZ14EGXNW2hxfxA75Ug/viewform

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Minto-Brown Island Park Checklist Summary for September 4, 2019*

*Identified Species: 36*

6 Mallard
1 California Quail
3 Pied-billed Grebe