[midvalleybirds] Black Phoebe at Truax Island, Linn County

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Wed Nov 27 17:16:07 PST 2019

Hi Gary & all,

Just to add to what Tom and Paul said, we've had a Black Phoebe calling in our yard (across from E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area) every morning this week, and today one was calling in the north ("Luckiamute Landing") unit of Luckiamute State Natural Area. Earlier in November, there were two in the south unit of LSNA.

The expansion of this species in our area over the last couple of decades has really been remarkable. There are a few other species in this category.

Below is an item that I wrote for the Audubon Society of Corvallis (ASC) field notes back in January.

Happy winter birding,
Joel

NORTHWARD RANGE EXPANSIONS

For long-term local birders, winter is when we notice that some species seem to be wintering more regularly at our latitude. Walking around a farm near Monmouth 11 Jan, I noticed a Red-shouldered Hawk sneaking around the woods along Ash Creek, a Black Phoebe chirping and catching insects around the barn, and Anna's Hummingbirds grinding away at their song in three different spots. On their farm s. of Independence, Mike and Karen Lippsmeyer also had a Black Phoebe stop by in early Jan and regular visits by a Red-shouldered Hawk . A male Anna's Hummingbird turned up on Kirk and Judy Lewis's tree farm at the Luckiamute River confluence.

Two or three decades ago, all three of these species were associated with northern California and the southwest corner of Oregon. Now they're part of our regular local avifauna in the mid-Willamette Valley. Turkey Vultures have also become a frequent though still uncommon sight on warm, sunny days in winter.

For the first 35 years of ASC field notes, Cinnamon Teal were regarded as spring migrants, usually arriving in early- to mid-March. But over the past two decades, wintering birds have become regular. Several were seen at Talking Water Garden s and the Philomath STP through out th is period. Along with Virginia Rails , Soras are now also found regularly at Talking Water Gardens, with at least two there through mid-Jan.

While still rare, winter sightings of swallows are increasing in the region . Harry Fuller notes that Tree Swallows now winter in the thousands in the Sacramento River Valley. It's hard to predict the effects of continuing global climate change, but one thing seems likely: the winter range maps in our bird guides will need to be updated frequently!