[midvalleybirds] Leucistic Black-capped Chickadee

marciafcutler marciafcutler at comcast.net
Tue Nov 26 09:45:01 PST 2019

I had a similar experience living on Merrie Drive in Corvallis between 2003 and 2011. Early on I enjoyed a leucistic B-c Chickadee I called Mini-Shrike since he/she had a white head with a dark, thickish black eye-stripe. I saw this bird for 2-3 winters, about the last winter I saw this bird, there was also another chickadee with less extensive facial leucisism. For a period of about 5-6 years in the winters there was at least one bird showing some leucisism on a diminishing scale. By the last several winters, I no longer had any leucistic chickadees.

Marcia