[midvalleybirds] Leucistic Black-capped Chickadee

Carma Sue Henry cshenry at bywordofmind.com
Mon Nov 25 17:30:28 PST 2019

We lived for 30 years in a house in NE Seattle and had the good fortune of watching generations of birds.  We always had lots (several dozen) of Black-capped Chickadees and a few Chestnut-backed Cs.  About 20 years ago a Leucistic Black-capped Chickadee arrived.  He still had most of his black cap, but much of the rest of his body was white feathered with just a few scattered black and grey feathers. He must have been a very successful breeder.  Within a couple of years we had numerous leucistic's of varying degrees.  After about seven years we were back to almost all normal pattern birds.  In the last 10 years we lived there we didn't see any leucistic birds.