[midvalleybirds] Fwd: OSU seminar Nov. 22 on birds as "insect pest control"

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Tue Nov 19 04:47:22 PST 2019

From: Josée Rousseau <josee.rousseau at oregonstate.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 10:12:22 -0800
Subject: [obol] OSU EECB Seminar - Dr. Matt Johnson - Nov. 22

This week's OSU seminar speaker is a birder and ornithologist!!
Please join us for the seminar presented by Dr. Matt Johnson, professor in
the Wildlife Department at Humboldt State University, California. His talk,
titled "*Birds, pests, and habitat: case studies of bird-provided ecosystem
services from Jamaica, Kenya, and California*", will be presented on Friday
Nov. 22 at 3 pm in LINC 302.

*Abstract:*
Global crop demand is projected to increase by 70 percent by 2050, putting
increased stress on the protection of natural habitats and conservation of
global biodiversity. Ecosystem services, such as pest control and
pollination, are critical benefits of biodiversity important for
agricultural production. Predators, including birds, can provide important
pest control in agroecosystems, boosting crop yield and offsetting the need
for expensive inputs such as pesticides. Birds are mobile and responsive to
habitat conditions, which prompts the need to understand how local habitat
and landscape characteristics affect the delivery of ecosystem services.
This talk will review how my students and I have studied bird-delivered
insect pest control in coffee farms in Jamaica and Kenya, and rodent pest
control in winegrape vineyards of California. Our aim is to reveal how
farmers can use local and surrounding habitats to achieve win-win scenarios
by advancing both the provisioning of economically valuable pest control
and the conservation of native birds.

The associated poster is [downloadable at]
[ https://www.freelists.org/archives/obol/11-2019/pdfu3Kr6sxnOE.pdf | https://www.freelists.org/archives/obol/11-2019/pdfu3Kr6sxnOE.pdf ]

Thank you,

Josée

Josée Rousseau
PhD Candidate, Dept. Forest Ecosystems and Society
Oregon State University, Corvallis OR
josee.rousseau at oregonstate.edu
(541) 286-8617