[midvalleybirds] Mary's Peak Birds

Richard Leinen rick.lumen at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 20:19:16 PST 2019

I spent yesterday morning at Mary’s Peak looking for the birds that have been reported there lately.

I successfully found SNOW BUNTINGS, GRAY-CROWNED ROSY FINCHES, MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS and possibly AMERICAN PIPITS.  There were two female Mountain Bluebirds frequenting the parking lot the whole morning.  The Snow Buntings were at the summit.  I found a single single Rosy Finch on the gravel road just before the large turn at the summit and a flock of from 6 - 8 along the same road about half way through the meadow.

There was a flock of about 10 birds flying over the meadow.  I could not get a good look at them are they flew overhead as they were silhouetted against the sky.  Based on their size and calls, I’m pretty sure they were American Pipets.

While I was thrilled to see these birds, there was very little bird activity.  It took three trips to the summit to find the finches and buntings.  I saw no birds the first walk up there.  The second time I saw a Rosy Finch on the way down.  The third time I saw the Snow Buntings at the summit.  The flock of finches was on my way back to my car after the third climb to the summit.  I guess the point is that it seemed at first that I wasn’t going to see any of the birds (except the bluebirds).  It seemed dead.  But patience and perseverance paid off.

Here's some pictures of the sightings:

Mountain Bluebirds - https://www.flickr.com/photos/41389079@N03/49036472822/in/dateposted-public/
Rosy Finch - https://www.flickr.com/photos/41389079@N03/49036480727/in/dateposted-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/41389079@N03/49036480727/in/dateposted-public/>
Snow Bunting - https://www.flickr.com/photos/41389079@N03/49036476882/in/dateposted-public/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/41389079@N03/49036476882/in/dateposted-public/>

While walking through some conifers, I recorded the following calls; https://www.dropbox.com/s/trobfd9ajg21zji/Siuslaw%20National%20Forest%202.m4a?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/trobfd9ajg21zji/Siuslaw%20National%20Forest%202.m4a?dl=0>.  Its pretty faint, I had to turn my computer volume all the way up to hear it.  I have no idea what it is, though I have been fooled by squirrels in the past. :-)  If anyone recognizes it, let me know.

Thanks,

Rick
Wilsonville