[midvalleybirds] Lewis's Woodpecker colors

Frank Kolwicz fhkolwicz1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 21:42:57 PST 2019

The ongoing Lewis's on private property north of Baskett Slough is
starting to show it's adult colors. Photos today show a very red lower
abdomen (looks dipped), red around the face forward of the eyes, yellow
and orange wash on the belly above the lower red band, and the gray
shawl-like ring and bib. It's all still rather blotchy, but I'm looking
forward to seeing it in full-toot.

The bird has not been hanging around the nestbox as much as I previously
noted, but does make it part of it's fly-catching rounds.

Also, in the same area, two Acorn Woodpeckers were bathing on a
partially submerged log.

Frank
in Monmouth