[midvalleybirds] duck soup

Nancy Stotz nstotznew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 21:31:45 PST 2019

Though I have had several positive responses to my tentative ID of the duck
at the Philomath Sewage Ponds as a Tufted Duck, a couple of experienced
observers have suggested it could instead be a hybrid (Tufted x scaup or
Ring-necked x scaup). Problematic features for pure Tufted include eye
color (too dull), head shape (not rounded enough), and bill color details
(black nail should be bigger and contrast more with a pale band above).
Hopefully the fog soup will lift enough Thursday to allow others to
relocate and study the bird further.

Nancy Stotz