[midvalleybirds] Spring migrants, emergents and continuing rarities

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Tue Mar 19 09:33:43 PDT 2019

Hi all,

Judging from eBird rare-bird reports through Monday, 18 Mar, birders from the Midvalley and elswhere continue to flock to Blueberry Rd. east of Peoria, with many succeeding in their aim to see the Snow Bunting, Lapland and Chestnut-collared Longspurs, and a Clay-colored Sparrow. The Rose-breasted Grosbeak and Red-naped Sapsucker in nw. Corvallis are also continuing to be seen, through 17 Mar.

On 18 Mar Lars Norgren saw an adult GOLDEN EAGLE along McLagan Rd. sw. of Tangent, but was not able to re-find a juv. FERRUGINOUS HAWK reported by Dave Irons and Shawneen Finnegan along Davis Rd. on 17 Mar. On both 17 & 18 Mar thirty HORNED LARKS were still using a field along Davis Rd., with the majority of the flock apparently "Streaked" Horned" Larks. One ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK was still in the area 17 Mar.

RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS seem to be arriving en masse in Oregon now, with reports of hundreds along the southern Oregon Coast. We've only had a couple brief visits at our feeders so far, but sounds like it might be a challenge to keep the feeders stocked in the coming week! TURKEY VULTURES are now soaring everywhere you look.

At Kingston Prairie ne. of Scio yesterday, a group of us planning an OSU Extension class on prairie ecosystems noted that some of the WESTERN MEADOWLARKS were paired up, with males counter-singing and defending territories while females occasionally gave their characteristic "rattle" call. We heard a few of their soft "teew!" alarm calls which meadowlarks will sometimes give near their nests, but they will also give this call in response to avian predators.

Dozens of VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS and a few TREE SWALLOWS were foraging at the nearby "Bird Haven" site (private). We didn't see any camas leaves poking up at that elevation (1000 ft), though we did see Saxifrage sp., Popcornflower, and a few other native prairie plants emerging. Later in the day at Bald Hill Park in Corvallis we saw lots of Common Camas (Camassia quamash) plants, some with leaves over 8 inches high and seemingly nearly ready to put up flower buds.

One of my co-instructors showed me a photo of a HARRIS'S SPARROW in winter adult plumage that visited his feeder in South Corvallis on March 6th. Apparently there were at least two different Harris's Sparrows in Corvallis this winter (the other one being at Jackson-Frazier Wetland).

Happy spring,