[midvalleybirds] Naturalist Adventure this Sunday: Jackson-Frazier Wetland

Don Boucher donaboucher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 13:44:22 PDT 2019

Naturalist AdventureSunday, March 17, 2019: Jackson-Frazier Wetland
9 am, about 3 hours
Meet at parking lot at north end of NE Lancaster St. (North of Conifer
Blvd.)
https://goo.gl/maps/wRt2PuUW2aq
<https://goo.gl/maps/FwLDBM9Ugiv>

By late winter, the wetland is already busy with birds and the signs of
spring. We expect to see or hear Northern Harriers, Yellow-rumped Warblers,
Red-winged Blackbirds, Purple Finches, Marsh Wrens and Virginia Rails.
There will be emerging Water Parsley and other wetland plants.  We'll look
at vernal pool crustaceans such as copepods and ostracods, and if we're
lucky, we may find a large red water mite. There may be recent evidence of
beavers or the nocturnal Gray Fox, and we may get a glimpse of the native
Brush Rabbit.

There's fog and sunshine in the forecast on Sunday, so prepare for cold
morning temperatures in the 30s, and please bring your binoculars.

Don Boucher & Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com