[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Chestnut-collared Longspur east of Peoria

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Mar 14 10:42:34 PDT 2019

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 15:40:58 -0700
Subject: [obol] Blueberry Hill (Linn Co) Chestnut-collared Longspur 3/13/19

11 AM: thanks to Fats Domino for the reference. This is along Blueberry
Ln or Rd. Down the hill from the original blueberry farm around here,
hence the name. I had stopped where tire marks said others had stopped for
the SNOW BUNTING that I did see briefly, I stopped and got out to pee in
the field (if this part is offensive, cover your eyes and ears) and saw
movement out of the side of my vision. When I could look more closely only
20 feet away I could see nothing until the invisible straw-colored bird on
the ground moved again
I have not seen many birds as cryptic as this, in the dead vegetation.
First winter female, every field mark or lack of any became obvious during
the 30 minutes I watched it and took photos I will post those to ebird
sometime today, or tomorrow morning. Rachel Friese (I hope the name is
right) stopped then and she got to see it. I heard a kittle call once. It
spread its tail twice and showed mostly whitish tail feathers with a dark
triangle at the end. This bird is so nondescript you would not believe it
unless you've seen it

There were 75 or so PIPITS around and a half dozen HORNED LARKS, and I saw
a white bird land with a few of them and never saw it again, SNOW BUNTING.
The CHESTNUT-COLLARED LONGSPUR ignored the other birds in the area, until
it must have moved and could not be located again by any of the four
birders that were there by that time, around noon

This bird is so invisible that it might not be re-found as it does not move
much and you won't see it unless it does

Everything you've heard is true

Roy Gerig Salem OR