[midvalleybirds] Peoria/Shedd area Lapland Longspur, Clay-colored Sparrow

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Tue Mar 12 06:56:28 PDT 2019

From: Roy Gerig <roygerig at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 15:38:49 -0700
Subject: [obol] Linn Co Lapland Longspur and Clay-colored Sparrow no Snow Bunti

Marty Cunningham and I looked for the Snow Bunting along Blueberry Lane in
the prairie portion of Linn County, near Peoria and Shedd. We saw Thomas
Gilg looking for the Bunting and he kindly pointed out the exact location
for the Clay-colored Sp he found yesterday, which is nearby along Potter
Rd. We found it without much trouble next to the RR tracks, clearly CCSP
and not Chipping or Brewer's.

Just minutes earlier and a little north we had birded Davis Rd, a one mile
N-S gravel road where we saw about 14-16 HORNED LARKS, north of the Dorothy
and Toto house as Lars [Norgren] has artfully named it, With those HOLAS was a
cooperative LAPLAND LONGSPUR. I haven't seen one of those in a year or more

After re-finding the CLAY-COLORED we retraced our route back along
Blueberry Lane and Thomas was still there looking/waiting for the SNBU to
show. It did not show while we were there, but we all looked at something
a couple hundred yards east of Blueberry that looked suspiciously like a
pile of SNBU feathers, white and gray. It was tempting to trespass and
look closer, but none of the three of us is like that so we did not

This morning, while colder than normal for the date, was the most
springlike I have seen this year

I will post eBird checklists in a while for Davis Rd and the RR tracks

Roy Gerig Salem OR