[midvalleybirds] Re: Opportunists

Don Boucher donaboucher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 11:16:30 PST 2019

Hello,

Similar to Frank, what started as a way to attract jays with whole peanuts,
led to towhee, chickadees and sparrows coming for some too.

I work near Bruce Starker Arts Park and the Dunawi Creek Community Garden.
On my breaks, I take walks and carry the whole peanuts with me. The local
scrub-jays and crows all know me now and follow me around. At the garden,
Spotted Towhees have been showing upon my arrival. Some will take whole
peanuts but they prefer just the kernels. They're not obsessive cachers
like jays, and usually fly off to eat their peanut and not come back for
another during one session. Sometimes Black-capped Chickadees show up but
they can only carry away half kernels. I'm quite popular with the local
birds and sometimes Song Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows and juncos will
take kernels. A Fox Sparrow comes but is too shy. If I toss a peanut
towards the Fox Sparrow, it flies away to hide.

I don't have enough time during work breaks to get them to feed out of my
hand but I think it would be possible.

Don Boucher
Coirvallis