[midvalleybirds] Fwd: Baskett Slough area larks etc., Monroe area cranes

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sun Mar 3 09:24:49 PST 2019

On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 01:06 -0500, obol at freelists.org wrote:
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2019 12:13:23 -0800
Subject: [obol] North Polk County gravel roads 3/2/19

I drove down Livermore Road, then back up again this morning. There were
no gulls where a flock had a 2nd year Glaucous Gull recently. One of our
HORNED LARKS was in perennial Fescue about a mile south of the north end,
just where I have seen it twice lately. I drive this 4.2 mile gravel road
weekly or more. South from there a lone AMERICAN PIPIT looked forlorn on a
bare dirt field, and a WESTERN BLUEBIRD. Furthur south a MERLIN flew low
over the large hillside stubble field that looks good for Short Eared Owl.
Nearby at a large WRP (now established wetland) I monitored more than 5
years for birds and other living things an adult BALD EAGLE was in hot
pursuit of a CACKLER but eventually missed it and at the South end of
Livermore Rd I finally saw the SAY'S PHOEBE reported from the Dallas CBC,
in the exact same spot as it was then (per the photo) while a dozen DUNLIN
were in the wet field just west.
A couple of miles west, along Enterprise Rd north of Beck Rd there were two
of our HORNED LARKS, a new location as far as I know. Along Beck Rd going
east I saw several groups of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS totaling 20-25

Roy Gerig Salem OR