[midvalleybirds] RE: [obol] Re: Linn Co Gyrfalcon

tom at barbless.com tom at barbless.com
Sat Mar 2 16:37:13 PST 2019

Hi All,

I did not hear of anyone trying the Benton County (BC) side. Jeff F felt the BC side had more forage for a GRYF, thus worthy of looking. While scoping to the west into BC, I could see many eagles, hawks and others gliding high.

For those at Irish Bend Loop, Linn, a Merlin, a Violet-green Swallow and a Turkey Vulture were honorable mentions. Horned Larks were present on nearby David Road and Blueberry Road. Audrey and Courtney found Black-bellied Plovers, I believe circa Lake Creek Dr and Peoria Road. The Tundra Swans (I estimate 1500) from American Drive have moved north to Blueberry Dr. just off Peoria Dr. In the various creeks and sloughs, America Wigeon, Green-winged Teal, Pintail, and Mallards abound. SW of Halsey, large groups of Western Bluebirds can be found.

Thanks for the comment Rebecca. I was used to greeting cars driving up where the words “binocs” and “Gyrfalcon” were welcome, but when this gentleman tore off his cell headset in disgust at the word of “rare bird… birders”, I shifted gears. In one long ago case, he mentioned seeing 2 seemingly lost people, trying to approach them to help, but they called the sheriff to report they were being stalked.

--tg