[midvalleybirds] Re: [obol] Re: Linn Co Gyrfalcon

tom tom at barbless.com
Sat Mar 2 14:01:13 PST 2019

Lots of chasers today, no luck so far.I did meet an adjacent landowner at the spot, and he was initially very upset by all the action, and the potential for trespass! He said he deals with lost people often, and people who walk on the nearby private farm roads. Apparently some maps still show a river crossing (was a ferry?) on his property, and people insist on finding it. After 15 minutes of talk, he was calmer, and telling me about the bird boxes and perches he has installed.Let's show him how well birders behave!--tgSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds at gmail.com> Date: 3/2/19  7:52 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: obol at freelists.org Subject: [obol] Re: Linn Co Gyrfalcon Audrey and Courtney, with Maureen and Nick, and hopefully others too, will be looking for the Gyrfalcon, again, today (Saturday) till midday.Please, again, post onto OBOL, or contact us, ASAP, if you are out today and find it! I looked at old OBOL records from March 2017 and looks like that Gyrfalcon was seen hereFeb. 25 to Mar. 1, then disappeared until refound here March 13 and 14, so, it was still here all along! but a lot of misses.Also found a note, that the only April Gyrfalcon ebird records in Oregon, are both from this area: Halsey and Tangent. So if any Gyrfalcon might stick around a while, may as well be this one.Here is some helpful info I was given, may it be of help to us today! >> I would suggest that you spend your time looking in the Irish Bend Loop and Nixon-Cartney loop off of Peoria Rd and then swing through the Lake Creek Rd Malpass Rd areas.  As we discussed, these birds have very large territories and they are food source driven.  I have to say that I did not see too many waterfowl in my drive around the whole area today so it could very well be that the food source is on the Benton County side and the bird was just resting until it was time to hunt.  Make sure you check all those tall trees along the river ... methodically scanning those trees << Thanks for helping!CourtneyCourtney Kelly Jett, Bend, OregonSent from a phone that is all brevity, no witSent from a phone low on wits, high on bitsOn Mar 1, 2019, at 2:45 PM, Courtney Kelly Jett <ckjannabirds at gmail.com> wrote:Audrey and Courtney will be looking for the Gyrfalcon from 3pm-sunset (if need be) today (Friday). Since Gyrfalcon is a hidden (protected) species on eBird, we won’t be able to see ebird reports posted if someone else refinds it. Please post to OBOL if refound or contact me directly - it would be a life bird for me! Would really love (so much) to see it. Thank you for helping!  Courtney 347-556-0619P.S. We saw Bruce Pratt’s continuing female Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Corvallis 7:37-8:10am this morning with Bruce, Nick, and Maureen. Thanks Bruce!Courtney Kelly Jett, Bend, OregonSent from a phone that is all brevity, no witSent from a phone low on wits, high on bitsOn Mar 1, 2019, at 12:32 PM, Jeff Fleischer (Redacted sender "raptorrunner97321" for DMARC) <dmarc-noreply at freelists.org> wrote:Hi everyone,Doing a raptor survey today and am looking at a smoky gray colored/ brown GYRFALCON through my scope👍. Location is on Irish Bend Loop west of Peoria Rd.  Take the north potion of the loop and where the road turns south the bird is at the top of a for tree to the NW of the corner.  Currently preening.   Gonna need a scope to see it clearly, too far for binocs.  Good luck chasing it!!Jeff FleischerPOST: Send your post to obol at freelists.orgJOIN OR QUIT: http://www.freelists.org/list/obolOBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obolContact moderator: obol-moderators at freelists.org