[midvalleybirds] Re: Long-eared owl at Coffin Butte, Benton Co.

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sat Mar 2 05:39:08 PST 2019

Alex & All,

As I commented on the MidValley birding list after your eBird posting resulted in a rare-bird- alert ... This is indeed an unusual situation to find a Long-eared Owl in during broad daylight. My hunch is that the bird that got flushed from its daytime roost somewhere nearby, perhaps by people working around the back side of the landfill or the quarry area, and flew to that fence.

If a Long-eared Owl is flushed from its roost, it will often fly just 100-100 ft and land in the first available substitute, then sit there "frozen" for some minutes, and finally move on if it figures out that it's too exposed. In that area there are huge numbers of crows and ravens which may pose more of a threat than passing trucks. Dropping down into the grass to hide before being mobbed by corvids might have been the best option.

It was good luck that you happened to come by just when the owl was in that situation!

Joel