[midvalleybirds] RE: [COBOL] Amazing number of eagles in Powell Butte

tom at barbless.com tom at barbless.com
Fri Mar 1 10:29:31 PST 2019

+Mid Valley Birding wrt Tangent,

Is there a scientific definition of "eagle roost"? Quick googling yields varied discussion that I would dangerously summarize as: 'communal night roosts for sleeping' and 'scattered day perches for hunting'. Some roosts are just used for days+ instead of year after year, and should be called 'transitory roosts'. Roosts sizes are 'from one up to several hundred adjacent trees' or 'trees within 100 meters of each other'.

Having commuted on the southern edge of the so-called Tangent Night Roost 400+ times (Bell Plain Dr), I often see up to 23 individuals in small groups over several square miles (Paul's "forage during the day over quite a wide area"). When livestock are down, said individuals and small-groups will concentrate into a single 40 acre field.

For the mid-valley birders, is there a clump of trees that represent THE Tangent Roost, or is it just the region? One seemingly authoritative eagle roost mapping site shows many roosts in Oregon, but nothing for the Tangent Roost.

   https://ccbbirds.org/what-we-do/research/species-of-concern/species-of-concern-projects/national-eagle-roost-registry/

Maybe I/we need to get the Tangent Roost listed?

--tg