[midvalleybirds] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Scouting Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 11:38:24 PDT 2019

*SAS MINTO-BROWN CITY PARK SCOUT RESULTS*

*JULY 28, 2019*

*COMMENTS:*

     * These are the scout sighting results. The upcoming *SALEM AUDUBON
SOCIETY  Field Trip *is on Sunday, *August 4, 2019, 7:00 AM*

     * This was a blue sky day that is in the time period of post breeding
for most species; and it was apparent birds are vocalizing less and song
structures being heard are changing.

We decided on the goal of attempting to see LAZULI BUNTING, and SAVANNAH
SPARROW again, both with low record counts this year compared to last,

The cause of this change is unknown. Some observation by co-leader and
discussion includes the damage by high water in late April rains, that
dampened down the grasses and apparently lessened seed head development.
Another is that the restoration area near the Osprey platform in spots is
becoming crowded, shady within, and less grassland areas at the edges.
Still, outstanding, is the apparent development of food with apple and crab
apple trees with copious fruit, the berry crop still needs some ripening
warmth and time, and the water is low in two ponds on this route but
attracts OSPREY,

     * We had a fortunate and friendly meeting with students from the OSU
ornithology and other science classes with a fun exchange of their studies,
species we were seeing since both our groups were traveling *opposite
directions*; they having begun at the Riverfront Park coming as far into
the park to the 3rd parking area. We hope they join us for the FT if
possible for them.

     * One change since the evening walk on 7/24/19, when that group saw
all 3 OSPREY nestlings exercising wings, was that on this date,7/28/19, all
fledged and were seen on the pond located north of the dog walk area past
the Sequoia woodland.The backside of this pond is hidden from the lower
inside trail(obviously not from them) but is beeline from the nest platform
and opposite to the river. The water is not deep in this enclosed pond with
tall berry hedge and cottonwood trees, but the three where perched and
plumage and their awkwardness could be observed,

      * There was a family of racoon across from the ramp at the Oxbow
romping and playing on a log, This was the site of the single NORTHERN
ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOW,

      * We saw some fledged young  AMERICAN ROBIN with their pebbled
flecking and stripey under throats, as well as seeing adult birds pulling
worms in bunches to fly off to vocalizing nestlings,

     * At the River we had MALLARD, PIED-BILLED GREBE, COMMON MERGANSER,
GREAT BLUE HERON, SWALLOW, SPOTTED SANDPIPER,and a bathing adult OSPREY,

     * At the Conservation area, where going off trail is restricted, a
good number of 11 TURKEY VULTURE were continuing to roost in a hedge tree
near a wet area, and in 'contorted soaring', a term used to describe
swirling TV, that are not in an organized kettle,

     * We had no calling or sight of KILLDEER at the River nor the
Conservation area. No WOOD DUCK,

     * We had no LAZULI BUNTING, 1 SAVANNAH SPARROW, 1 BLACK-THROATED GRAY,

     * We walked 3.8 mi. with no re-tracking steps in 3.45 H,

Thanks to all with Fred Stephens doing the eBird species.

*46 Taxa: *

7 Canada Goose
25 Mallard - all appear brown and in eclipse plumage,
8 Common Merganser
1 California Quail
1 Eurasian Collared-Dove
4 Mourning Dove
5 Vaux's Swift
3 Anna's Hummingbird
3 Spotted Sandpiper - at the river rock edges, and moving around,
4 Great Blue Heron - 1 at the oxbow
13 Turkey Vulture - 11 were seen at the north basin Conservation area,
8 Osprey
2 Bald Eagle
1 Red-tailed Hawk
6 Belted Kingfisher
4 Downy Woodpecker
2 Hairy Woodpecker
6 Northern Flicker
11 Western Wood-Pewee
5 Warbling Vireo --
2 Steller's Jay
4 California Scrub-Jay
4 American Crow
1 Northern Rough-winged Swallow - flying for some visual minutes over the
Oxbow down from the cabana at the 3rd parking,
1 Tree Swallow
1 Cliff Swallow
7 Black-capped Chickadee
23 Bushtit
3 White-breasted Nuthatch
2 Brown Creeper
2 Bewick's Wren
3 Swainson's Thrush
6 American Robin
2 European Starling
11 Cedar Waxwing
6 House Finch
5 Lesser Goldfinch
5 American Goldfinch
16 White-crowned Sparrow
1 Savannah Sparrow - 1 located near teasel, with White-crowned Sparrow and
Lesser Goldfinch below the upper trail,
15 Song Sparrow
5 Spotted Towhee
1 Red-winged Blackbird -seen near the restoration and apple tree junction
on trail out from 3rd parking,
3 Common Yellowthroat
2 Yellow Warbler
1 Black-throated Gray Warbler

*PLANNED SAS EVENTS;*

Aug 4, Sun., Minto-Brown City Park Field Trip, 3rd Parking Lot at the
kiosk, 7:00 AM,

Aug  15, Thurs., Minto-Brown City Park Field Trip for COMMON NIGHTHAWK,
7:00 PM, parking lot #3,

Aug 20, Tues., Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge Field Trip, Pintail Marsh
Parking Lot, 7:00 AM,

Sept. 4th, Wed., Minto-Brown City Park Field Trip, 3rd Parking Lot at the
kiosk, 7:00 AM,

September 10th, Tuesday is beginning of monthly BIRDER's NIGHT.

Join us if you can.