[midvalleybirds] Re: [MidValleyNature:4971] ID puzzle

Lisa Millbank millbank.lisa at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 09:23:13 PDT 2019

Hi Mary,

My feeling is that it's most likely a young Great Horned Owl.  It's common
to hear single youngsters begging incessantly, sometimes even during the
day.  That said, this recording doesn't sound exactly like most of the
begging calls I've heard, but they vary quite a lot.  Some of the qualities
of the sound may not be coming through on the recording.  There are lots of
recordings to listen to online and you might be able to judge whether
they're a good match to what you're hearing.

The habitat where you live is ideal for Great Horned Owls, but not really
attractive to Barn Owls.  Most Barn Owl sounds, including the begging
calls, are raspy, very drawn-out, hissing shrieks.  It wouldn't surprise me
at all to hear a male shrieking while flying over that part of town, but it
would be pretty unlikely for one to hang out there all night for weeks.

Lisa Millbank