[midvalleybirds] ID puzzle

Mary Garrard springazure1 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 08:05:28 PDT 2019

Hi everyone, I’m blitzing my groups hoping that someone can confirm or deny my ID.

I live in NW Corvallis at the top of Angelica in the Charlemagne Heights area. We have a lot of big-ish Doug firs and oaks..

I’ve been hearing interesting screeching vocalizations for maybe a week or two, but I’ve been in and out of town so they may have been going on longer. At first I thought it was just one individual, but there could be more than one.

Last night I went out about 10pm with my phone and tried recording with a sound recorder app but it didn’t capture the sound very well, so I recorded video and it did better. Still not very good. I have more recordings if this one isn’t enough.

After much puzzling and internet scouring, I’ve concluded that they are Barn Owl vocalizations. If you have time, have a listen and let me know what you think. It would be a great add to my yard list of owls! I have limited experience with Barn Owls and have never heard them vocalize, but if it isn’t I’m back in the dark (as is this creature).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iup9wuberwwmneh/barn%20owl%3F.mp4?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/iup9wuberwwmneh/barn%20owl%3F.mp4?dl=0>

Thanks!

Mary