[midvalleybirds] SAS Ankeny NWR Field Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 16:40:55 PDT 2019

*SAS ANKENY NWR FIELD TRIP SUMMARY*

*July 20, 2019*

For today's Salem Audubon birding field trip at Ankeny NWR, Fred, Kay and I
were joined by 12 other birders including several OSU students who were
taking an ornithology class.  The weather was very nice with clear blues
skies but at times it was a little breezy.  It was 56 degrees at the start
and 69 degrees at the end of the trip.  We made three stops around the
refuge including Pintail Marsh, Eagle Marsh and Acorn Woodpecker Corner
(Liberty & Ankeny Hill Rd intersection).  We identified (saw or heard) 53
species.

*Most notable sightings:*

· We didn’t see many duck species as they are mostly all in eclipse plumage
and apparently hiding out.  We only saw *Mallards* and *Cinnamon Teal*.
There was one adult teal on Eagle Marsh with eight baby teal;

·    We had some nice sightings at Eagle Marsh such as a *Wilson’s Snipe*
flying by as well as an *American Bittern*.  We heard the *Yellow-breasted
Chat* across the road from Eagle Marsh but did not get to see it.  The *Marsh
Wrens* along the west side of Eagle Marsh were very vocal as they chattered
almost non-stop.  The *Swainson’s Thrushes* were quite vocal too, using two
of their calls as well as their song.   A couple of birders saw one *Lazuli
Bunting*.  We also saw three *Belted** Kingfishers *and three *Black
Phoebes*;

·    At Pintail Marsh we saw quite a few shorebirds.  There were *Long-billed
Dowitchers*, *Least Sandpipers* and one *Western Sandpiper*.  We also saw
five *Great Blue Herons*, a *Great Egret* and a *Greater Yellowlegs*;

·   Other observations included a *Vaux’s Swift* and *Bald Eagle*.  The
eagle appeared to be a 4th year eagle as it had a partially white head and
tail;

· We did not see any hummingbirds and very few warblers.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  Our next SAS bird walk will be
the Illahe Hills CC bird walk *this Monday at 8:00 AM*.  Meet in front of
the clubhouse off Country Club Rd S.  The next SAS-Shorts bird walk is at
Minto-Brown Island Park on *Wednesday, July 24th at 7:30 P.M.*  Meet in
parking lot #3.

Please join us if you can.

We have a birding workshop on *Molt and Migration* coming up this coming
Saturday, July 27th.  The cost of the workshop is only $10.00 per person.
The workshop will be held at ODFW, 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr SE in
Salem.  The workshop goes from 10:00 AM to 12 noon.  Show up a little early
so you can get checked in and get the handouts.  You can register online
for the workshop at https://forms.gle/ZBZWN9nrPY9fa9n18

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Ankeny NWR Checklist Summary for July 20, 2019*

*Number of Species: 52*

Checklists included in this summary: 3

Checklists included in this summary:
(1): Ankeny NWR--Pintail Marsh @ 7:06 AM