[midvalleybirds] Naturalist Adventure this Sunday: New Growth & Old Growth Trails, McDonald Forest

Don Boucher donaboucher at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 17:54:24 PDT 2019

Sunday, July 21, 2019: New Growth & Old Growth Trails, McDonald Forest
Meet at Lewisburg Saddle parking lot on Sulphur Springs Rd.
https://goo.gl/maps/5arCJ9qKy2gDgrVT8

9 a.m., about three hours

This will be a shady and casual summer hike of less than 2 miles, but it
does include some stairs and elevation gain.

We'll hike through a Douglas-Fir plantation and then enter a mixture of
old-growth Douglas-Fir, Grand Fir and Bigleaf Maples towering over Pacific
Yew, Pacific Dogwood, Oceanspray and more. We’ll find forest birds like
Pacific Wrens, Wilson’s Warblers, Chestnut-backed Chickadees, Pacific-slope
Flycatchers, woodpeckers and some others. We'll see some of the spring
wildflower that have produced seed or fruit. When the morning warms up, we
may encounter forest butterflies, hoverflies and more.

Please bring binoculars.

Don Boucher & Lisa Millbank
www.neighborhood-naturalist.com