[midvalleybirds] Fledgling Black Headed Grosbeaks

Shawn & Paul Jacobsen spjacobsens at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 09:07:21 PDT 2019

For the past week or two I have been hearing the high pitched begging 'whistle' of Black Headed Grosbeak YOY's in our yard.   Just yesterday I finally noticed the mother at our feeder with the two young on branches above her.  She would eat a bit and then relent and bring seed to one or the other, jamming it into their beak in that gentle manner they all seem to have.  After a while she moves on and I assume they follow as I can hear the begging move around the trees in our yard.  The young are about the same size as mom.

Also noticed an increase in Black Capped Chickadees in the past week, after having almost none for many weeks.

Paul
West of Corvallis, past Bald Hill