[midvalleybirds] eBird reports of vireos and bobwhites

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Thu Jul 18 05:07:33 PDT 2019

Hi all,

>From eBird "rare-bird" reports it seems that people who have gone looking for the Red-eyed Vireo that Duncan Evered found singing in Willamette Park are continuing to find it, at least through Monday or Tuesday.

Often Red-eyed Vireos found in unusual spots in our area mid-/late July seem to be wandering birds, probably after failing to find a mate in places where there is more extensive bottomland forest (similar to Grand Island, Luckiamute State Natural Area, or the Willamette/MacKenzie River confluence area). So sometimes they move on after a few days. The habitat at Willamette Park seems kind of marginal in terms of scale to me, so it will be interesting to see if the bird continues.

Another "rare species" that's popped up is Northern Bobwhite (Quail), being reported from E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area. There are no known self-sustaining populations of this species in Oregon, after an introduced population fizzled out decades ago. So most likely these are birds that someone pen-raised, then released into the wildlife area (most likely without authorization). This sometimes happens with Chukar (Partridges) too.These pen-raised birds are usually pretty easy to see, at least until the local Coyotes catch up with them.

Anyway if you want to hear Bobwhites calling "in the wild," the place to look for these birds is south of Camp Adair Road. You'll need an ODFW daily parking permit or annual parking pass.

Among more regular species, most sparrows seem to be done nesting, warblers are starting to move around, and arctic-nesting shorebirds are migrating south through our area. I'm starting to see lots of juvenile Common Yellowthroats and Lazuli Buntings at field sites.