[midvalleybirds] Ankeny NWR Scouting Trip Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 16:40:00 PDT 2019

*Scouting Report Ankeny NWR 7/13/2019*

We did a scouting trip to Ankeny NWR on Saturday July 13, 2019 from 0700 to
1030 in preparation for the Salem Audubon Society Bird walk scheduled for
July 20. Our group consisted of Fred Stephens, Kay Fagan, Roxy Evans, and
Paul Evans.  The temperature was 63-74 degrees F and the weather was partly
sunny with minimal breezes. We met at Pintail Marsh and surveyed the pond
and the areas surrounding the parking lot and the surrounding wetlands. The
pond had low water but little mud flats. There were three nutria sunning on
the snags in the middle of the pond, and we saw one river otter on the far
shoreline eating a fish.  Ducks and shorebirds numbers were low. Highlights
there were peregrine falcon sitting in the far left snag, both Greater and
Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, and two Lazuli Buntings in the bushes
near the entrance roadway.

>From there we birded Eagle Marsh, observing the pond and wet areas around
it as well as the roadway nearby.  There were Cliff, Tree, and Barn
Swallows with juveniles perching on the cables of the parking lot fence.  We
walked the berm road. Our notable species included two Green Herons, many
Swainson’s Thrushes and killdeer calling, Marsh Wrens calling near nests,
Sora and Virginia Rail calling, and a Black Phoebe flying over the road.
Common Yellowthroats and Song Sparrows were seen and heard along the entire
road.  A Wilson’s Warbler and Bushtits were found as well as Warbling
Vireo, Black-headed Grosbeak and Downy Woodpecker.  As we were leaving, a
flock of 49 Canada Geese with many juveniles flew into the pond in a
raucous formation.  Of note, we did not see or hear White-crowned Sparrow,
Red-tailed Hawk, Turkey Vulture, Northern Flicker (heard one only), or
Anna’s Hummingbird on this relatively quiet day but surprisingly productive
day.

Species we observed:

Mallard

Gadwall

California Quail

Pied-billed Grebe

Great Blue Heron

Green Heron

Ring-necked Duck

Osprey

Peregrine Falcon

Virginia Rail

Sora

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper

Greater Yellowlegs

Lesser Yellowlegs

Long-billed Dowitcher

Least Sandpiper

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Eurasian Collared Dove

Downy Woodpecker

Black Phoebe

Western Wood-Peewee

Warbling Vireo

Steller’s Jay

California Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow

Barn Swallow

Cliff Swallow

Black-capped Chickadee

Bushtit

Bewick’s Wren

Marsh Wren

Swainson’s Thrush

American Robin

European Starling

Cedar Waxwing

Yellow Warbler

Common Yellowthroat

Wilson’s Warbler

Spotted Towhee

Song Sparrow

Red-winged Blackbird

Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch

American Goldfinch

Black-headed Grosbeak

Canada Geese

*Total = 49 species*

The next SAS Bird Walk will be held at Ankeny NWR on Saturday July 20.  All
are welcome, beginners and experienced birders alike! We meet at 7:00 a.m.
at Pintail Marsh (port-a-potty is available in parking lot). Dress for
hiking on sunny flat dirt roads with tall grass and blackberry bushes (hat,
study shoes and long pants).  Bring binoculars, sunscreen, insect
repellent, and water.

See you there!

Respectfully submitted,

Paul