[midvalleybirds] SAS Zena Forest Bird Walk Report

Mike Unger unger730 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 16:50:50 PDT 2019

*SAS Zena Forest Bird Walk Report*

*July 12, 2019*

Stephanie from Salem Audubon Society led a bird walk at Zena Forest
(restricted access/permission required).  She was joined by 17 other
birders for this unique bird walk.  The weather was clear with temperatures
ranging from 68 to 75 degrees.  We walked about two miles through the
forest (both conifer and oaks).   There were some nice forest edges that
had good bird activity as well as a few open spaces.  The bird activity was
fair as we identified (seen and/or heard) 23 species.

After the walk we went up near the center of activity where the woodworking
area is located.  Some of the birders ate lunch while Sarah of Zena Forest
Management gave us a historical overview of the forest.  The history of
Zena Forest was quite interesting.

The highlights were as follows:

-  We saw a *Hutton’s Vireo* near the end of the walk;

-  About midway through the walk we saw a pair of *Wilson’s Warblers* carrying
food.  We were unable to see if they were taking it to a nest as we moved
along quickly as to not disturb them;

-   There was quite a bit of nuthatch activity including a lot of
calls.  Late in the walk we saw a family of *Red-breasted Nuthatches* moving
about the canopy.  It appeared that the young had just fledged as they had
a fluffy, unkempt appearance and displayed a clumsy flight;

-   We saw two *Western Tanagers*;

-  There were quite a few young birds around besides the nuthatches.  Other
juvenile birds included *Song Sparrows*, a *Western Tanager* and a
*Black-headed
Grosbeak*;

-  The bird of the day was the vocal *Swainson’s Thrushes* that were
singing and giving their whit and weep calls;

-   There was a dearth of woodpeckers and raptors. The only woodpecker was
two *Northern Flickers *while the only raptor was the Turkey Vultures.  We
were hoping for a Pileated Woodpecker to no avail.

A complete list of today's birds follows.  The next field trip is at Ankeny
NWR on *Saturday, July 20th at 7:00 AM*.  Meet at the Pintail Marsh parking
lot off Wintel Rd.  Then on *Monday, July 22nd at 8:00 AM* we have the
Illahe Hills CC bird walk.  Meet at the clubhouse located at 3376 Country
Club Rd S which is off River Rd S.  The last July event is the SAS Shorts:
Minto-Brown Island Park bird walk on *Wednesday, July 24th* at *7:30 PM*.  Meet
in parking lot #3.  This walk is focused on seeing Common Nighthawks
although there will be many other birds too.  Please join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Zena Forest (restricted access) Bird Walk Checklist Summary for July 12,
2019*

*Identified Species: 23*

8:59 AM – 2 hours

1 Mourning Dove