[midvalleybirds] Precocial quail

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Mon Jul 8 17:33:46 PDT 2019

Hi Andi & All,

I don't know for sure about quail, but from raising baby Ring-necked Pheasants as a 4-H project as a teenager back in Minnesota, I recall that by 7-10 days or so they could start to fly over the 2-ft-high dividers that we had set up to keep them closer to the heat lamps.

And even after that experience, I was caught off-guard when I tried to raise a batch of Chukar (Partridge) chicks in an unused feed wagon that had 6-ft high sides. All of them escaped before I even started to think about covering the top of the wagon.

Joel