[midvalleybirds] Recent vehicle break-ins at Minto-Brown Island Park

Mitch Rohse mitchrohse at comcast.net
Sun Jul 7 11:08:13 PDT 2019

Thanks, Tim. My car was broken into in Salem's Wallace Marine Park boat launch parking lot a few years ago. The break-in occurred on one of the busiest July weekends of the year. I was barely able to find a parking place in the crowded lot. I assumed the crowding might deter theft, but as you note, it may simply provide more targets of opportunity.

Your last line, about not leaving "anything that looks like it might be valuable, “ is good advice. I didn’t leave anything valuable in my car, but I did leave a pair of shorts and a tee-shirt in plain sight on the back seat. The thieves broke a rear window and stole only those two items. I presume they expected to find a wallet in the rear pocket of the shorts.

I told the glass-repair guy I was surprised that a thief would smash a car window in such a crowded place. He said, “They don’t really smash the window. They stick a big screw driver or metal bar in the crack where glass meets metal frame, and then pull on it. It’s not real conspicuous, and it only takes about a second.”

Mitch
Mitch Rohse
Email:     mitchrohse at comcast.net
Website:  justmynature.smugmug.com