[midvalleybirds] EE Wilson bobwhites, chats & sun pillar

Don Boucher donaboucher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 07:43:17 PDT 2019

On July 4, I left before sunrise and rode my bike to E.E. Wilson State
Wildlife area. I heard at least three Northern Bobwhite calls. Here's an
audio recording one.
https://soundcloud.com/user-745510706/northern-bobwhite-06-190704-v2

I encountered several Yellow-breasted Chats while there. I recorded the
song of the one:
https://soundcloud.com/user-745510706/yellow-breasted-chat-song-dowo-mimic-16-190704-v2
What sounds a bit like the whinny of a Downy Woodpecker is actually part of
the chat song. There are other bird sounds that can be heard on this
recording: Spotted Towhee, Song Sparrow, Purple Finch, Common Yellowthroat
and Common Ravens (faintly in the distance).

On the way, the sunrise was quite a show. There was a sun pillar, an
apparent shaft of light above the position of the sun below the horizon. A
phenomenon caused by ice crystals of high altitude clouds. Photos:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mid-valley-nature/MsjoU3kWo1w/YYJaO76WCgAJ

Don Boucher
Corvallis

Virus-free.