[midvalleybirds] California Quail chicklets -- Cardwell Hill/Wren area

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Sat Jul 6 18:17:36 PDT 2019

Hi all,

Today a pair of CALIFORNIA QUAIL were shepherding 12 to 14 tiny chicks (hard to count!) along the road at the west end of the Cardwell Hill Trail, near Wren. The chicks were clustered tightly around their presumed dad while the wary mom brought up the rear.

I've been seeing dozens of young WILD TURKEYS on all of our Vesper Sparrow monitoring sites. Some of them are still small (quail-sized) but some are just about half-grown now. Early this morning I ran across a flock of adults and juveniles that must have just come off their nocturnal roost. They flew back up into the trees when they saw me coming through the woods.

VESPER SPARROWS have now mostly fledged their second broods, though there might still be a few active nests out there. I'm seeing lots of juvenile CHIPPING SPARROWS, and SAVANNAH SPARROWS, and WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS on the monitoring sites. Yesterday I also flushed a very short-tailed juvenile SPOTTED TOWHEE.

Happy late-summer birdwatching!