[midvalleybirds] SAS Minto-Brown Island Park Bird Walk Report

Mitch Rohse mitchrohse at comcast.net
Thu Jul 4 14:00:44 PDT 2019

Thanks, Mike. I typically walk the route from Salem’s Wallace Marine Park, through Riverfront Park to Minto-Brown Park, and back several times each week. For the past couple of months, I’ve been seeing Peregrine Falcons on the bridges almost every time I take that walk. I’m pretty sure they nested this year on one of the bridges over the Willamette River (probably the Marion Street Bridge). I haven’t been able to positively identify the nest’s location, however.

This spring I sometimes could hear the falcon juveniles calling for food. (They’re exceedingly vocal.) I’m not sure how many there are, as I’ve never seen them in one place together. This morning, one of the fledglings was perched high in the superstructure of the Union Street foot bridge. He was also there two days ago. I’ve seen falcon fledglings on the Marion Street bridge, too.

The mother falcon frequently hunts from Center Street bridge. Her favorite perch seems to be atop the second of the four main concrete piers, counting from the east side of the river. She usually perches on the southern side of that bridge.

On June 3, I saw her attack and drive off a subadult Bald Eagle near the bridges. I take that behavior to be a pretty sure sign that (a) she had chicks in the area and (b) she didn’t want eagles invading the Peregrine family’s air space.

Mitch
Mitch Rohse
Email:     mitchrohse at comcast.net
Website:  justmynature.smugmug.com