[midvalleybirds] Airlie neighborhood migrant sandpiper flock and Horned Lark fledglings

clearwater at peak.org clearwater at peak.org
Wed Jul 3 09:04:33 PDT 2019

This morning, a flock of about 50 "peeps" were feeding on mud around the edges and islands of the filbert-irrigation pond at the intersection of Airlie Rd. and De Armond Rd., a couple miles west of Hwy 99W in southern Polk County. Already at 8:30 am heat distortion was a problem for long-distance scope views, but I think most and perhaps all of them were LEAST SANDPIPERS.

Earlier in the day while working on a site where we're monitoring Oregon Vesper Sparrows, I saw a couple of juvenile HORNED LARKS, the first youngsters I've seen this year.