[midvalleybirds] Evening Grossbeaks and stuff

Frank Kolwicz fhkolwicz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 18:51:21 PDT 2019

A family of Evening Grossbeaks was in our yard today, about 15' from
where we were sitting. The male was feeding a fledgling from our oil
seeds and the female was drinking and bathing under the shelter of a
small Magnolia stellata. We usually see them around the yard, but never
so accepting of our presence.

Elsewhere in my bird photography rounds I've had the first of season
Orange-crowned Warblers for the last couple of days and the first
fledgling today, plus male and female Bullock's Orioles, but no
youngster. I guess that means the Orioles nested somewhere nearby and
were still foraging for nestlings that I hope to see soon, too.

Some of the Western Bluebirds have fledged from the nestboxes I put up
on a ranch property nearby, but others are still indoors. There aren't
as many as last year in those boxes for whatever reason. I've put up
another 5 pairs of boxes on a different property, but had to wait 'till
the end of May, so we didn't get any takers, other than Swallows. Maybe
next year!

Cedar Waxwings have started flycatching over a pond and in Willows on a
property north of Baskett Slough which, incidentally, had the first
adult Great Egret I've seen at the narrows of late.

Except for resident Black Phoebe, flycatchers are scarce so far in my
usual haunts.

Frank
in Monmouth